Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chocolate Hot Cross Buns And Easter Eggs


Image : http://www.flickr.com


Going to the local supermarket in February and seeing rows and rows of Chocolate Easter Eggs and Chocolate Bunnies in all sorts of decorative colors, sizes and packaging and Hot Cross Buns appearing next to loaves of bread is an exciting visual experience of anticipation or one of disgust that Easter in our society has come to this. I love chocolate so I get excited.

The enormous volume that is stocked in all of the supermarkets and shopping centres tells me that I am not the only one that enjoys buying, giving, receiving and eating lots of Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns.

As a child growing up in Australia I have fond memories of the Easter Holidays. Sometimes we would go away for a few days on a holiday and other times we would spend it at home. No matter where we were The Easter Bunny always delivered a Chocolate Easter Egg in the middle of the night and I remember waking up to a brightly colored foiled covered egg.

We would spend Easter Sunday lunch with the family. I would wait eagerly at the window watching out at all the cars going by for my Nana to arrive in her little white mini knowing that a chocolate easter egg would be presented to me on arrival. I was never interested in eating lunch and my brothers and sisters and I would eat a token amount and disappear to consume chocolate Easter eggs until we felt really sick.

Over the Easter holiday period we would have Hot cross buns grilled under the griller or baked in the oven with butter spread over them for snacks. Hot Cross Buns tend to have a "burp" factor in some people (and now I am older I am one of them). I am not sure whether it is the spices or the yeast but I have discovered that Chocolate Hot Cross Buns are fine to eat and don't "repeat" on me. They are delicious fresh from the oven or heated up in the microwave and I have discovered that they are even better with chocolate hazelnut spread instead of butter!

Easter is a great time to spend with your family and eat lots of chocolate Easter eggs and Chocolate Hot Cross Buns. Happy Easter!

Related : Easter Product Store