Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Different Styles of Russian Easter Eggs


Image : http://www.flickr.com


One of the loves of my life would have to be this lovely Russian Easter egg that my great grandmother left to my grandfather when she passed on. He didn't like it much of course - he wasn't the type who would, and I quote, "appreciate fancy frivolities". Naturally, its care was passed on to my grandmother, who simply adored it the moment it was placed into her hands. She immediately relocated the Russian Easter egg to a high place on her glass shelf - truly a place of honor, as far as my grandmother was concerned. And from there on its high perch, it would watch over us, like a promise.

I always admired that egg from afar. It looked nothing like the other Easter eggs that I used to see when I was a child; it was the most perfect shade of sky blue, with delicate brown-black lines painted on it to make it look like it was on the verge of hatching on top. It was held upright with this exquisite wooden stand that looked vaguely like the branches of a tree. My grandmother used to tell me that Russian Easter eggs were invented because the Russians used to run out of Easter eggs to give to each other - back then giving an Easter egg to a person meant that you are thankful for them, and you wish them a prosperous new life of possibilities. That being said, I was told that Russian Easter eggs are special because their promises are exquisite, and the will often last forever.

One day, that Russian Easter egg will be in my hand, and the symbol of prosperity of new beginnings and new life will stay with me for a very long time.

Thanks To : Easter Product Store